Sunday, April 8, 2012

Some recent eats

I love that Spring finally feels like it's in the air. It's been pretty wet here in WA for a while, and finally we've had a few nice days and it's glorious! I know summer is just around the corner and that means BBQ season is almost here, which is my favorite! Haven't been doing a lot of cooking lately, but here are some things I've enjoyed recently.

I don't typically like to use boxed cake mixes and I NEVER use store bought frosting, but my sister sent over some darling cupcake holders from Scotland and I literally couldn't wait to make something in them! And since funfetti cake and frosting is my sister's favorite, I made some for her.


Aren't they so cute? I love the teacup one so much! And all the colorful starts! Too cute! I haven't had funfetti cake in a long time, and it sure was good!

There is a doughnut shop in Portland that comes up with the most crazy doughnut concoctions like the Gay Bar, the Dirt Doughnut, the Memphis Mafia and their very popular one, the Maple Bacon Bar. Voodoo Doughnut is certainly a Portland institution and the line for a doughnut usually wraps around the block. It's a place you MUST visit if you ever come to Portland! (And hey, they even perform marriage ceremonies too, just in case you need one). The Maple Bacon bar is probably one of their most popular, and a local brewery made a beer in honor of that doughnut!
Here is my dad, Justin and I right before we tried the Maple Bacon beer. Sadly, we weren't fans, but being so close to Portland we felt we had to give it a try. Honestly, it tasted like someone took a bottle of liquid smoke, then burned it, then mixed in a tiny bit of maple syrup. It was a strange burn flavor that lingered in the back of my throat and wouldn't seem to go away. I wouldn't recommend drinking an entire bottle of this stuff, but it certainly was fun to try it!

As far as good eats goes, people in our area typically don't flock to downtown Vancouver, Wa. With Portland just a stone's throw away, it makes more sense to head there because there are so many really great options for delicious food. I did stumble upon a Korean restaurant in Vancouver though and it really made my day! It's called A Little Pine Tree and the food there was really, really good!


I had the Japchae and it was the perfect lunch! I really loved the flavor and it brought back so many memories from Korea! What I really liked about it was that there were lots of veggies in it, and it was really lightly sauced. My mom had the bulgogi which was heaven! I haven't found too many really good Korean restaurants in our area, including Portland, and I was really happy to find this place in Vancouver!

I am constantly looking for good dinner ideas that I can freeze easily for Justin so he can take them for lunches durning the week. A while back I made these lasagna rolls from Skinny Taste and found them to be really fantastic! Justin loved them and had enough to take for lunches for the week and they were only 6 Weight Watchers points each, so that was nice for me too!

Well, that's just a taste of what I've been eating lately! I'm so looking forward to BBQ season just around the corner so I can start posting all the wonderful summer eats that await me!

1 comment:

  1. I saw the Voodoo Doughnut place on the food network! The wedding was in the episode! The doughnuts look amazing! That will DEFINITELY be on the list when I come and visit!! The cupcake holders are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete