Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Montreal Favourites

Montreal has amazing food and I wanted to share some of my favourites from around the city. 

Beauty's, Montreal's famous Jewish diner, has the BEST traditional bacon and eggs breakfast! Although, this one comes with bacon, sausage, two eggs, my favourite homefries, 2 fluffy pancakes and a bagel! Everything at Beauty's is amazing!


 Montreal is not known for it's Mexican food. I assume that's because it's way too cold for their hot blood! La Matraca is the only place in the city that I've been with really authentic tacos. The tacos are unbelievable! They come on a homemade corn tortilla. My favourite is the Taco El Pastor which is pork and pieces of pineapple. I also love the Taco de Chuleta which is another kind of pork taco. All of them are topped with cilantro and I always get a side of sliced avocado. They also come with three kinds of very spicy homemade salsa. Sooooo good!
 

I love egg tarts! While traveling around Asia, I tried them everywhere I went but nothing compares to the egg tarts at Kam Fung, my favourite dim sum restaurant in Montreal. The egg tarts are PERFECT! The pastry shell is flaky and buttery. It's probably made with so much lard but that makes it so much better! The creamy custardy filling is to die for! I need one. NOW! 


The goat cheese balls from Sala Rosa, a spanish tapas restaurant, have been on my top 5 list for a few years now. They are incredible. These goat cheese balls are lightly fried so they have a nice fried shell on the outside to keep the goat cheese inside. They are topped with caramelized onions and drizzled with honey. There are no words to describe how good they actually taste. You'll just have to come and try them yourself! 


Yuukai is my favourite Sushi Restaurant in Montreal. That's a big statement. Their rolls are so fresh and so good! Yuukai is always consistent and I've never been disappointed. Their Wakame Salad is my favourite in the city. It is dressed to perfection and I love everything about it. My favourite roll is the Samurai Roll (spicy tuna tartar, honey, mango, cucumber, scallion, tobiko, and tempura). The Starfish (spicy shrimp tempura, red tuna, cucumber, avocado, and lettuce) and Tempura Vegetarian Roll (sweet potato tempura, fried red onion, fried zucchini, avocado, and teriyaki sauce) are also insanely delicious!


3 comments:

  1. HeY dude!!! Megan!!! I just wanted to send a note about how stoked i was to stumble onto your food blog. It's exciting to find someone excited about eating out in montreal. I've been feeling a little stuck in my mile end bubble eating at my mile end staples so it was great to see a few things on your blog i haven't been to. Hey here is a short list of my staples--just incase you've never been (you've probably been- but if you haven't you have to go!!!)-- good foods- cheap prices-- the "Euro Deli" Polish perogie place on st V....the Roti place "Jardin du Cari" around the corner on st Laurent just north of St.V... and i find my self too often in little italy at this fantastic place on st Zotique and St Dominique..."El Amigo" - super phat El Salvadorian cuisine.... also since we are talking little italy i should mention the coffee at Cafe Italia on St. Laurent... oh and the best little ball bowling on top of the IGA on st zotique past st denis is amazing... don't eat the bowling balls...maybe don't bother with the beer either. Thanks again and keep on blogging!! cheers Lisa Gamble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm let's go to yukkai soon...and you should try the new Nouveau Palais...let's make a date!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Megan. OOOOOOOOHHHHH MEEEEEEEGAN! Those goat cheese balls sound TO DIE FOR! I can't wait to come visit you and we can just eat our way through the city!!!

    ReplyDelete