Friday, January 13, 2012

Greek Burger

The other night, I made a delicious meal for a friend of mine. I was inspired to do something a little different! I decided to make a lamb burger with Greek flavours. They turned out so good! The lamb was juicy and the flavours really came through. You could taste the mint and the cumin in every bite. I made grilled peppers and portebellos with boiled/broiled potatoes with butter and salt to go along side of the burgers. Dinner was a hit! I didn't get the best pictures (I forgot my good camera at home).


Greek Inspired Burger

INGREDIENTS

For the Eggplant
3 tbsp wine vinegar (I used white wine vinegar infused with tarregon)
1 teas. fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large eggplant

For the Burger
2 pounds ground lamb
1-2 tbsp mint, chopped
1-2 tbsp basil, chopped
1-2 tbsp parsley, chopped
1tbsp ground cumin
1 egg
salt and pepper
oil (for grilling)
pitas (thick)
chopped lettuce (I used romaine)
tzatziki
tomatos

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to lowest setting (around 100-200 degrees).
In a small bowl mix vinegar, oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil until well blended. Cut the eggplant (1/2 inch thick). Arrange the eggplant on a plate and brush/coat with vinegar mixture. Grill eggplant until soft, about 3 minutes per side. Keep them warm in the oven.

In a bowl, mix lamb, mint, basil, parsley, cumin, egg, salt and pepper. Form patties (around 6). Brush grill with oil and allow grill to get HOT! Grill lamb patties, around 4 minutes per side. Let sit for 5 minutes.

While lamb burgers are sitting, cut the ends off the pita and grill the pitas for a few minutes. 

Assemble the burgers with grilled eggplant, lettuce, tomato and tzatziki.



No comments:

Post a Comment