Thursday, April 19, 2012

Banana Pudding with Chocolate Shavings and Toasted Coconut

Pudding is one of my favourite snacks. I always have pudding in my fridge (always chocolate). I guess it's a weird obsession at 26 years old but I enjoy it so much, so why not? I was looking through Food Gawker one night and came across Banana Pudding. It blew me away! Why have I never thought of banana pudding? I love anything flavored with banana; banana milkshakes, banana smoothies, banana cream pie, banana bread, banana cupcakes, chunky monkey, and the list goes on. The great thing about this pudding is its texture. It's not made with gelatin so its just natural and smooth. I topped it with chocolate shavings and toasted coconut! It was really delicious!

Recipe
Banana Pudding

Ingredients
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk (I used 1%)
2 large eggs
2 small (or 1 large) ripe bananas, pureed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Chocolate shavings (optional)
Toasted Coconut (optional)

Directions
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch and sugar. Gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Over medium heat, cook the mixture until it is thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Turn heat down to low and cook for an additional 2 minutes; keep stirring.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs. Pour a small amount of the milk mixture into the eggs and stir quickly to prevent the eggs from cooking. Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and whisk together.

Bring the pudding to a gentle boil over medium. Once it starts boiling, cook for one minute longer. Remove from the heat and pour into a tupperware container. Stir in butter, vanilla, and banana puree.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (and up to 2 days) before serving. Garnish with chocolate shavings and toasted coconut.



No comments:

Post a Comment