Monday, April 16, 2012

Summer Corn Salad

I may have just hit the mother load. I took this salad to a BBQ last night and got a TON of compliments on it and all the ladies wanted the recipe.
I was asked to bring a salad to the BBQ and I just couldn't bring myself to making a traditional green salad. I wanted something new and different, something bright and fresh, something that was so good it would SCREAM summer. This was it. I found just EXACTLY what I was looking for.
The flavors of all the veggies and the dressing married so well together, and the crunchy corn, peppers and onions were a perfect pair to the creamy avocado and cheese. The dressing was bright and fresh and unlike any other dressing I've tried. I actually "taste tested" it so much that I worried I wouldn't have enough to take to the BBQ! It was just sooooo gooood!!! I think this salad will become a staple in the summer BBQ scene for me!

Corn Salad
Recipe from Our Best Bites


Ingredients:
4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
8 ounces queso fresco or cotija cheese (I used cotija)
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped (and seeded if desired)
1/2 recipe (about 6 ounces) Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
1 large avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions:
Toss together the corn, red bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno pepper, and crumbled cheese. Toss with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette. Chill until ready to serve. Right before serving, gently toss in the avocado and season with salt and pepper. Serves 10-12.

Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette
Recipe from Our Best Bites
1/4 c. fresh lime juice (about 2-3 juicy limes)
1/4 c. white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
4-5 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. Kosher or sea salt
2 tsp. sugar
1 c. canola oil
1/2 c. roughly chopped cilantro, stems removed
In the jar of your blender, combine lime juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, and sugar. Blend until ingredients are completely combined. With the blender running, add the oil in a steady stream. Add cilantro and blend until the cilantro has broken down but still maintains some of its texture. Serve with greens, on any type of Mexican salad, or use as a marinade.

Food for Thought:
For me, the dressing was pretty sweet on it's own, but when mixed with the salad and the saltiness of the cheese, it worked really well. I think I'll cut down on some of the sugar in the dressing if I make it for any other salad.

1 comment: