Thursday, June 21, 2012

Playa Cabana

I love Mexican food! It's very hard to get good authentic or interesting Mexican food in Montreal but Toronto does it a lot better! I went to Playa Cabana for dinner and drinks with a friend of mine. I was very impressed. Anytime I go for Mexican, I order tacos. We even ordered tacos for our appetizer! Everything was superb and I cannot wait to go back!

We each ordered a glass of sangria. I ordered the red sangria and my friend ordered the white sangria. Both were well balanced with sweetness and wine. They were the perfect start to our Mexican meal! We saw the Tacos de Pulpo and couldn't resist. They are fresh grilled octopus tacos served with a charred jalapeno salsa. They were really tasty and I wanted more (they come with 2). I would definitely order them for myself next time. The octopus was perfectly cooked. It wasn't chewy or fishy. The jalapeno salsa had a good kick that went well with the octopus and corn tortilla. 


 I ordered the Tacos el Pastor which are adobo-marinated pork roasted on a trompo with pieces of pineapple. These were fabulous. The pork was juicy and spicy and the pineapple added the perfect sweetness to the taco. My only complaint is that I would have appreciated more pineapple... I wanted it in every bite!



My friend ordered the Tacos de Pescado which are Baja-style fish tacos. They always use what ever white fish is fresh and in season. It's battered with tecate-cerveza. Woah! Seriously the BEST! The fish was perfect! It was crispy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth juicy in the middle. The slaw added a wonderful freshness. I want them now! Amazing! Even the rice and re-fried pinto beans with fresh queso was delish! Definitely a win! 

No comments:

Post a Comment