Saturday, July 7, 2012

Montreal Dishes

Over the past few months, I've eaten some really delicious food that I haven't had the chance to add to Food Fighters. Here are some amazing dishes that everyone should know about!

Grumman 78's Fried Chicken

Ok, so the tacos are good at Grumman BUT the fried chicken is THE BEST! The order comes with one giant leg and jalapeno pasta salad with potatoes. The chicken is perfectly fried so the skin is crispy and the chicken in tender. It's drizzled with a magical honey sauce. It's sweet, so if you aren't a mcnugget-dipped-in-honey person than this fried chicken might not be for you.

Mas des Oliviers' Chilean Sea Bass


This is my favourite dish of all time. Big statement, I know. My parents had their wedding reception at Mas des Olivers and have been going back for their anniversary every year (luckily, taking my brother and I - ever since we were old enough to appreciate good food). It's also been adopted as my birthday restaurant since going once a year is just not enough. There are no words for this dish. It's extraordinary! It's a big piece of perfectly cooked flaky white chilean sea bass topped with whipped, buttery mashed potatoes and a bread crumb crust. Under the delicious fish are stir fried veggies and an insanely tasty vermouth sauce. When you get all of these things in one bite... that's it... all other food is ruined... nothing will ever taste as good.

Bistro Japonais Furusato's Sushi


This place blew me away. It's a little hole in the wall sushi place so my expectations were not high even though a friend raved about it. I'm a very picky sushi eater so I was skeptical that this place could compete with my go-to restaurants. The menu has a small sushi selection. They have very basic rolls with not a lot of variety inside the rolls. We ordered a spicy scallop roll, a salmon and avocado roll, salmon sashimi and tuna sushi. The rolls are large and have a very generous portion of fish inside. The fish is so fresh that you don't want anything else to mask the taste. I have never experienced fish with so much flavour. I've heard that Bistro Japonais Furusato is the most authentic Japanese sushi restaurant in all of Montreal. Also, try the black sesame ice cream... it's amazing!

Kitchenette's Crab Cakes and Bread Pudding



Kitchenette is great but the mains aren't nearly as good as the appetizers and desserts. I shared the Maryland-Style Crab Cakes with homemade ranch sauce with my mom. I love crab cakes and these were delicious! They were crispy on the outside with big chunks of flaky, spicy crab on the inside. The sauce was cold and creamy and added a great balance with the hot and spicy crab. This was definitely a winning dish! 

The bread pudding was heavenly! It was drenched in a Jack Daniels sauce and a toasted pecan caramel. It was the prefect texture.... not mushy and was not too sweet. 

Vino's Lemon Ricotta Pancakes


These pancakes are light and fluffy with the tang of lemon and creaminess of ricotta. They're topped with homemade blueberry compote and served beside thick slices of caramelized bacon. The perfect breakfast!

Juni's Sushi & Pear Croustade




The sushi at Juni is both beautiful and interesting. They have a wide variety of unique rolls. I had the ebi age maki roll which is a shrimp with phyllo pastry. I also had the B52 which is red tuna, rice crispies, spicy mayonnaise and avocado. For dessert, I had the pear croustade with blueberries and raspberries topped with a frozen cheese ice cream and a creme brulee finish. It was delectable. The textures and flavours went so well together. The cold ice cream was incredible with the pear crumble and berries!

No comments:

Post a Comment