Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pizzeria Libretto (Toronto)

I know I recently just wrote about pizza but I went to Pizzeria Libretto in Toronto on Tuesday and it was so good, I have to write about it! My friend, Erin, has been talking about it for a while now. We tried to go last time I was in but a 3 hour wait was kind of out of the question (since they don't take reservations). Recently they opened a second location on the Danforth and they take reservations! I thought that maybe Erin was building it up too much and that I would definitely be disappointed but NO! It was better than any pizza I've had in Canada (maybe even better than mine, MAYBE!). This is real Neapolitan pizza, cooked in a wood fired oven on extremely high heat (900 degrees) so the crust bubbles and chars! They use Fiore di Latte Mozzarella, brought in fresh daily. The pizzas are baked in less than 90 seconds! At Pizzeria Libretto, they say that real Neapolitan pizza should have a center of 0.3 cm and the crust should be 1-2 cm thick! The dough is soft, elastic and easy to fold.

For an appetizer, we shared the Arancini which was stuffed with braised lamb neck, tomato, mozzarella, mint & spicy aioli. It was incredible! Crispy on the outside and melty-goodness on the inside. We also had the Gnocchi Fritti lemon with a lemon, chive & sour cream dipping sauce. It was basically deep fried gnocchi. It was good but nothing special. For my main course... Ontario Prosciutto Pizza which was a Margherita pizza topped with lots of salty, thinly sliced prosciutto. I don't have the words to describe how good it was. There was nothing wrong with it and for that reason alone, I am moving to Toronto to be close to Pizzeria Libretto.

Ontario Prosciutto
Quattro Formaggi (tomato, truffle, bufala mozzarella, montasio, moliterno, parmigiano reggiano) 

No comments:

Post a Comment